The information below refers to our in-person music & movement program at Silverlake Conservatory of Music.
PLAY music is returning to Silverlake Conservatory of Music for fall ’21. We are starting small, but we are very excited to return to our partner school! We ask you to please read this page carefully before enrolling. We hope to see you @ SCM soon. 🎶
Please note we are following the CDC & LA County’s guidelines for indoor activities taking place in a youth environment. We understand that you have choices when it comes to music classes. Your family’s health & safety are of utmost importance to us, and because all of the children we serve are still unvaccinated, we are adhering strictly to the indoor masking order for all participants 2 years and up, and erring on the side of caution when it comes to capacity limits and other safety precautions.
Things to know before you sign up:
- We will be conducting temperature and wellness checks at the door. If anyone in your party has a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or above, or is showing outward signs of illness, you will not be permitted on the premises.
- Because of the nature of music & movement, all adults will be required to be masked & provide proof of full vaccination.
- All children 2 years and up will be required to be masked, but NOT children under 2 years.
- All participants will need to sign a liability release form for themselves and their attending children. (Caregivers will sign a separate form.) All paperwork must be completed before the class day.
- There will be only ONE parent/caregiver per child allowed in class.
- Your PLAY music teacher is fully vaccinated and will be masked (with either a clear, fitted mask or cloth mask).
- The class will take place in SCM’s very spacious Burkle Hall, which has high ceilings and a 2020 upgraded air filtration system.
- The room is set up for distancing between families, and the curriculum has been adjusted accordingly. We ask families to respect each other’s space, communicate with each other, and maintain social distancing as much as possible. The maximum enrollment for each class at SCM is 8 children.
- The cost of the fall session is $285 per child for 10 weekly classes.
- *Additionally, each family will be asked to bring their own instrument bag to every class at SCM. This bag may be assembled from items you have at home or purchased from PLAY upon registration. It should include: 4 egg shakers, 4 rhythm sticks, and 2 scarves (plus additional shakers, sticks & a scarf if a sibling is registered). The cost of instrument bags purchased from PLAY is $29+tax, and they will be distributed at the first class. Families will be responsible for cleaning & maintaining their own instruments. Any additional props or instruments that we use in class will be passed out & collected by the teacher as needed, and cleaned after every use.
- Enrollment includes web materials access for the term of the class & downloadable tracks for PLAY music blue session ’21.
- All fees and applied class credits are non-refundable. In the event that we have to suspend classes due to COVID-19, families will be offered the option to join a virtual class (at a lower per class rate with the remainder issued as a class credit) or to take a non-refundable class credit for the remaining classes.
- We are unfortunately not able to offer make-up classes for absences or sibling rates at this time.
Things to know on your class day:
- Before coming to SCM for your scheduled class, please do a self wellness check for any signs of illness, including: fever, cough, shortness of breath, or any other possibly troubling signs. If you observe any of these symptoms in yourself or your child, please stay home. As always, our main goal is for our classrooms to be a safe, clean, and healthy environment for children, and we can only achieve this with the help of all of our families.
- We’ll ask you to remove your shoes after you enter the space. Please come prepared with socks.
- Please do not bring any people with you other than the participants you have registered.
- Face coverings are required for everyone 2 years and up, and must fit properly, covering nose and mouth.
- Please arrive no earlier than 5 minutes before your scheduled time.
- There is NO FOOD allowed in the space. Water bottles are allowed and encouraged. Please do not bring strollers into the space.
- All common areas are disinfected frequently. Hand sanitizer will be supplied in the classroom, and we encourage you to wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water as recommended by the CDC before and after participating in activities at SCM.
- If you test positive for COVID–19 within 2-3 weeks of visiting SCM, please notify PLAY as soon as possible so we can take appropriate steps to notify anyone who may have been exposed.
PLAY music classes include songs, chants, musical stories, and small and large movement activities. We use a variety of musical instruments and props, and encourage free exploration. No musical skills are necessary—but if you’re a grown-up, expect to sing, move, dance, and play along. Your children will participate at their own levels and in their own styles, but your engagement in class is vital to their experience. For more detailed information about PLAY music, visit the PLAY music membership page and About PLAY music.
PLAY music is a mixed-age music and movement program for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, and our current age range is 6 months to 5 years.
Because of the necessary limitations we are working within, visiting in person for music at this time will not be appropriate for every child. Children 2 and over will have to be masked during their entire visits. All children will need to stay engaged with and relatively close to their parents & caregivers, and follow your directions in order to maintain distancing.
If your child is willing and able to follow your directions, loves music time with you, and (if 2 or older) is well accustomed to participating in activities while masked, in-person music may be right for you. If your child isn’t comfortable with one or more of these things, please think about waiting until some of these restrictions have been lifted to visit us, or consider trying our online program. We want everyone who participates in PLAY music to have a very positive experience.
If you would like to book a private PLAY music class for your learning pod, please email us. The same policies & enrollment limits apply.